This post is part of Bathroom Blogfest ’08 where we talk about bathrooms – cleaning up those forgotten spaces around us. Today’s focus for Floor Talk is Eco-Friendly bathroom products and water saving tips for the bathroom.
Kohler’s tips on water saving:
When it comes to saving water in the bathroom, a few small steps can make a big difference. Consider these tips for reducing your water consumption every day.
- Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth, and rinse out the sink when you’re finished.
- Capture shower/bath water while waiting for water to change temperatures: This excess water can be used for watering plants.
- Don’t wait for the water to get hot before filling the tub for a bath. Put in the plug and adjust the water temperature as the tub fills.
- Do not use the toilet as a garbage can: Only flush the toilet when disposing of sanitary waste.
- Turn off the water while shaving: Fill the bottom of the sink with a few inches of water to rinse your razor.
Kohler conservation products:
KOHLER® HETs that flush 1.28 gallons or less, when compared to a 3.5-gallon toilet, can save homeowners up to 22,000 gallons of water per fixture per year.
KOHLER 1.75 gpm water-conserving showerheads and handshowers deliver an impressive 30% water savings over traditional 2.5 gpm showerheads and handshowers.
Small in size, big on impact, KOHLER faucets with low-flow aerators for both the kitchen and the bathroom deliver up to 30% water savings over faucets with standard aerators.
- Choose recycled facial tissue and toilet paper
- Use chemical free personal products
- Us organic or bamboo towels and washcloths
- Select non PVC shower curtain liners
- Use beeswax or soy candles rather than artificial fragrances
- Use non toxic cleaners to clean the bathroom
- Choose flooring made with recycled content
- Pick paints that are have low VOC’s
- Recycle razors and toothbrushes
- Use plants in the bathroom – they actually help clean the air!
- Use countertops made with recycled content
- Replace traditional light bulbs with fluorescent bulbs or natural light from a skylight
If you implement any of these tips or products, you are making a difference. The more you do, the more of a difference you make! Feel free to share any other tips you have run across!