Today, we have another fabulous shower design with several items to note:
- The decorative band is composed of several parts. The tile in the center is laid on the diagonal with a listello (liner bar) installed above and below the row of diagonal tile to give the whole decorative band a more substantial and more finished look.
- The design of the decorative band is not installed directly in the center so it doesn’t break the design where it chops up the wall. Instead, it raises your eye to give more height.
- Often the tile stops short of the ceiling, but the tile in this area goes all the way to the ceiling making the wall look taller. The sheet rock above the wall is also more protected from moisture with this type of installation.
- The field tile is laid straight which is a cost saver versus installing all of the tile on the diagonal.
- The edges of the tile are finished off with a trim piece called bullnose which gives a nice, clean, finished look.
- The soap dish is made of a stone or resin material so that it blends in with the field tile rather than white which would stand out against the tile.
- It is very important in an installation like this to caulk the area where the tile meets the tub. If that area were grouted, it would eventually crack and become a moisture problem for this area. Caulk is available in a color that matches or coordinates with most grout colors.