By Annette M. Callari, Allied ASID; CMG
Walker Zanger is a leader in the world of tile and stone. Of course, the world expected great things from them as they designed their new corporate headquarters located in Los Angeles. And the world will not be disappointed. Form, function, graceful design, and innovation come together in this hallmark building which houses their offices, conference room, slab gallery, and photo studio.
“The spatial design and shape of the new headquarters was driven by our day-to-day functional and operational needs,” said Walker Zanger Executive Director of Facilities Design, Kim Bernard. “We wanted clients to enter into a central point that became a terminus, allowing them to go directly into the showroom or have direct access to a conference room—all without disrupting the flow of traffic throughout the building.”
To say this new-build is state-of-the-art would be an understatement. The new facility is equipped with LED lighting and skylights throughout, electric car-charging ports, bicycle storage lockers and drought-tolerant landscaping. Its two-story lobby features a grand staircase and 20-foot-diameter, custom-designed floor medallion made from a single piece of waterjet-cut limestone—an amazing accomplishment. The 91,000-square-foot indoor warehouse includes an elegant “Slab Gallery,” a 523-foot indoor crane, and wire-guided order-picking system that allows for narrower aisles and more room for product.
One can safely say that the WZ now has a corporate home equal in stature to their artistic product line. Well done on so many levels.
Walker Zanger is known for its innovative style and design. While browsing their website, in their inspiration gallery I saw something that caught my eye. In the picture to the left, of course the backsplash catches your eye, but if you look closely the island is where the unique feature is.
Notice how the perimeter of the island is polished and the field of the island is honed! It’s hard to tell whether the perimeter countertops are honed or polished, but either one would compliment the island.
The products shown are:
Backsplash: Weave Teak Offset Blend
Counter: Copper Canyon Granite Slab (Honed and Polished)
Walker Zanger has a wonderful website with an interactive product catalog. You can turn the pages on the website of the catalog just as if you were turning the pages in the printed catalog. Very chic. Very green.
To care for your granite countertop, here are a few hints and tips from the WFCA site:
- Your retailer or manufacturer can suggest specialty products designed for use on your stone floors. These are highly recommended.
- Always blot spills immediately. A neutral pH detergent or pure soap, such as Liquid Ivory, and warm water, can be used for spills or periodic complete cleaning.
- Be sure to rinse thoroughly and dry the surface with a soft, clean cloth. Too much cleaner or soap may leave a film and cause streaks. Change your rinse water frequently.
- Do not use products that contain lemon juice, vinegar or other acids on marble, limestone or travertine.
- You should avoid using products that contain abrasive cleaners, cleansers (dry or soft) or any ammonia-based cleaners on any stone. These products will dull its luster.
- Also, do not use retail grout cleaners, scouring powders or bathroom tub and tile cleaners on your stone.
- For heavens sake please don’t mix bleach and ammonia; this combination creates a toxic and lethal gas.
To find a floor store in your area, click here.